Getaway to hills – Shimla
Shimla one of the most visited as well as adorable places in India, this place is famous for it’s ambience, food, snowfall and much more. This place is first preference for the tourists when they want to visit a place covered with white sheet of snow in surroundings and the beautiful valleys that are attention grabber. This place offers amazing street food at very affordable rates; it does offer an amazing place to shop for many fantastic clothes and accessories.
Places to visit:-
- Mall Road:- Mall road is one of the centre of attraction for many tourists as this place offers amazing clothes and food as well, hence this place is the worth the visit and if you visit Shimla this is a must visit place.
- Viceregal Lodge:- This is the British sculptured monument which was the residence of the British Viceroy of India, A fine display of Jacobethan architecture complete with Tudor-style arches and carved brick detailing on pillars, parapets and porches, Viceregal Lodge dates back to 1888.
- Christ church:- This church is embraced with neo gothic architecture, this church is the second oldest church as it was formed in 1857 and is the major attraction for the tourists out there, Christ church stands out for it’s grandeur and is often one of the best holy places in the country.
- Scandal Point:– The name itself gives a hint about the place, this place is related to one of the biggest scandal of that time which was; Maharaja of Patiala had eloped with the daughter of the British Viceroy.
- Wander on the ridge:- This area is situated between the Jakhoo hills and observatory area and this is known as the heart and soul of the city as it is one of the most liked by the tourists and the favorite spot out hangout with peers.
- Hitch upto Jhakoo Hill:- This is most adventurous part of the journey if one visit’s Shimla, the 30 minute hike up is worth the ride as the scenes it offers along the way are very beautiful the ride crosses the lush green forest with splendid views of Shivalik mountains.
- Ride in Kalka – Shimla railway :- When you are in Shimla you cannot miss onto this amazing experience as the ride from Kalka to Shimla is of 884 km and it goes through 102 tunnels which fulfill the soul of the travelers with joy and they get to see alluring views which will make them fall in love with nature, this amazing journey is all situated inside the lap of nature.
Where to refuel your tummy:-
- Café Hide out:- A perfect place to treat your taste buds with fresh food at affordable rates, this place is very famous among youth for serving the best waffles in Shimla, a perfect joint for Waffle lovers.
- Wake & bake cafe:- this place offers amazing ambience with good food as well, one can head into this café to offer their stomach with best food that will rejuvenate them.
- Café Shimla times:- Another amazing place to have good Italian food in hills, a great combination of ambience and food.
When to go:-
- March – June:- The hottest time of the year when the temperature hikes upto 25 degree and sometimes it turn to 30 degrees in June.
- November – February:- The best time to visit is in these months as most of the time tourists can witness the floors covered with snow it seems like a little heaven on the earth.
How to reach:-
Jabarhatti, 22 kilometres from Shimla is where the nearest airport was located. However, due to altitude and load restrictions, commercial planes no longer operate to and from here. Chandigarh, at a distance of 115 kilometres, is the next nearest airport to Shimla.
Shimla is easily accessible by road and makes for a great drive from nearby Delhi (340 kilometres) and Chandigarh (115 kilometres). Public buses run by Himachal Road Transport Corporation and private taxis ply frequently from nearby towns and cities.
The toy train from Kalka to Shimla is a charming way to get to the hill station. Kalka is connected by several trains from Delhi and Chandigarh. The Kalka Shatabdi Express from New Delhi Railway Station to Kalka Railway Station takes 4 hours 10 minutes and is the fastest train plying the route.